Tuesday 13 August 2013

Back in the saddle..

...and it feels great! I will get round to posting about the actual race day in Tarbes but first I wanted to update you on what has happened over the past two days.

Sunday I decided to put Czarko on the lunge to see how he was moving. At first, he was very lazy and looked slightly stiff but after a minute or two, he decided to let loose and was pulling me around! Once he had started to canter, it was very difficult to get him to stop - to say the least. Nonetheless, it did make me confident he was feeling good and that he had recovered well.



Following this, I decided to take him out for a short ride around the block on Monday just to make sure everything was well. Our 'block' consists of mainly road work and a soft track approximately half a mile long. We took it steady on the road and introduced what was meant to be a short, controlled canter on the soft track. On the transition to canter, Czarko had other ideas and decided to throw and massive shy at nothing. From then, he was on his toes the whole way down the track and was very much enjoying throwing his legs out in extended trot. He threw a stride of canter in every other stride of trot and it was an all round quite interesting and crazy ride - by this point I was quite sure that he was feeling good and ready to get on with the rest of the season.


I went to bed thinking about what to do with the rest of the season and woke up with a decision - Cirencester! I entered yesterday so we will be doing a bit of training to keep Czarko's fitness up and tackle the ride in a couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment