Wednesday 17 July 2013

Gallops Training

I mostly train across the New Forest as I have direct riding access from where Czarko is kept but we did venture up to the gallops by Stone Henge today to do some training. I found it difficult to find gallops close to us where the ground maintenance men were happy for us to train - apparently endurance riders like to go 'up and down' and 'make their job very hard'. 

Anyway after many phone calls I managed to find a suitable place to train...only 1 hour away from where Czarko lives. We were supposed to be training today anyway but I managed to secure last minute booking which was a lovely surprise. I had no experience of 'gallop training' before due to my difficulty finding a suitable venue so it was nice to do something new. 

The gallop was about 1 mile uphill so was perfect for cardiovascular training and it helped me work Carko very hard getting his heart and breathing rate up. This provided us with a perfect opportunity to monitor Czarko's pulse after every gallop. We were pleased to see that his pulse stayed at a steady rate and did not change after each time he went up.

As it was getting on for midday, we decided not to overdo it and took him up the gallop 6 times. My riding time was 1 hour so I came away feeling happy that this would improve Czarko's ability to climb hills as well as strengthen his breathing whilst traveling fast. 






No comments:

Post a Comment