Sunday 7 July 2013

Training update

Finally!! Britain has blessed us with some prefect weather for training, this heat wave could not have come at a better time! We have been told to expect temperatures of 30-40 degrees C in Tarbes for the World Championships so Czarko and I have been training hard in the heat to acclimatize.

On Friday, Czarko was lunged in an exercise sheet for half an hour and his temperature measured 37.7 (however this was measured using a new thermometer so I'm unsure how correct this was). I have been lunging him 2-3 times per week depending on my work schedule to give him consistant exercise.


Today we did 2 hours of canter training across the forest. I finished work at 15:45 and went straight to Czarko to make the most of the hot weather. I was delighted to find it was still 26 degrees C at 16:30. I was crewed half way by Mum so was able to take Czarko's temperature to get a gage of what he was running at. He measured 39.1 degrees C after a quick slosh which confirmed to me he was making the most out of the hot weather.

Furthermore, I have changed the pattern of stabling for Czarko this summer. Usually, he would spend the day in his stable out of the heat and would go out over night when the temperatures drop. However this summer, he has been staying out during the day to increase his heat tolerance with hopes that he won't find Tarbes to be too much of a drastic weather change. He seems to be coping with these alterations well and has been having plenty of electrolytes to keep him in good condition.

So far, I'm happy with our training and Czarko seems to be responding well to it. His muscle cover is continuously increasing and he seems to be more willing in himself every day - a horse that loves his job!

No comments:

Post a Comment