Thursday 4 July 2013

My First Post!

So here it is... I have decided to start blogging! My name is Lauren Mills, I am an international Endurance rider recently selected to represent Great Britain in the Young Rider World Endurance Championships 2013 in Tarbes, South France. I am aged 19, currently working full-time for SWAST (South Western Ambulance Service) as a 111 Call Advisor whilst living in the rural Village, Bransgore.

As an Endurance Rider, I recognize how interesting it is to read about what fellow competitors are doing so I thought I'd share what I get up to - not only with regards to training my horse Czarko, but I suppose with any other relevant life activities too.

I suppose I better expand a little bit on who I am and what I have done in my life so far. Well, I did all of the usual education (nursery, primary school, secondary school) right up to sixth form where I studied A-Level English Language, Media, Geography and Graphics. Ringwood Secondary school and Sixth form is where I chose to study along with most of my friends when we moved on from Bransgore Primary School. I worked with horses for approximately one year at a Private Yard before moving on to work in Haskins Garden Centre in Ferndown where I endured Restaurant and Customer Service duties. I left Haskins aged 18 after being successful in an interview with the NHS to work as an OOH (Out of Hours) Call Handler in the summer of 2012. SWAST then got the 'go ahead' to launch the 111 Service which gave me the opportunity to work in the Job Role I am now.

With regards to the 'horsey' part of my life... I was born into a family with a passion of horses so it was inevitable I was going to be an equestrian girl. Both my mum and nanny love horses and they have always been a part of their life so there was no getting out of it! I received my first pony at 5 years old from Father Christmas on Christmas Day - we did the normal duties of going to tend my mum's horses at the stables and there I found 'Dusty' in the stable next door to my mum's decorated in tinsel. From that day, I have never looked back and have competed ever since. I spent my junior years competing in Show Jumping, mounted games, eventing and was a member of the West Hants Pony club. I was very successful in my local area on my second New Forest Pony 'Sara' and got myself into the 'Bournemouth Echo' newspaper due to my victory at Ellingham Show where I won the Show Jumping class in a 'jump-off' in very testing weather conditions.

I came across Czarko three years ago though a family friend, Carole. I was lucky enough that in the summer of 2010, she decided Czarko was too much of a handful for her and she was not getting the best out of him. At this time, I wasn't looking for another horse as I already had an Arabian horse 'Messenger Man' that my parents had bought me from Ascot Sales to compete in Endurance with. However, for whatever reason, my mum and I decided to go and view Czarko and just fell in love with him. It didn't take much convincing and again, my parents were kind enough to buy Czarko for me (best decision they ever made!), and Manny (Messenger Man) went on to be owned solely by my mum.

From there, Czarko and I developed an instant connection and got on like a house on fire. We both enjoy galloping tremendous speeds and he settled into his new home with me very well. Of course, I had no idea what he was capable of or where we may be in three years time - being on the team to represent our country was a mere dream but hey, I guess we are proof that dreams really do come true!

Anyway, I think that just about covers it! I promise to try and remember I have created this blog and keep it updated with events, training and other activities I find myself indulging in. Bye for now!




No comments:

Post a Comment